Lugol’s Iodine – Original Full Strength Formula 15%
Out of stock
Lugol’s Iodine solution was originally developed in 1829 by French physician Jacque Lugol, and later refined by Canadian naturopath Hulda Clark. It can be used either externally or internally.
Studies have found that iodine offers a host of benefits. It increases energy levels and boosts alertness and cognition. Iodine also increases fat metabolism in the body. It can help protect against several reproductive issues, including ovarian cysts. Iodine is critical to brain, nerve, and bone development and a deficiency during pregnancy or early childhood can lead to mental retardation. Iodine can help strengthen immunity and flush toxic chemicals and radiation from the body. People who are deficient in iodine may be more sensitive to cold and may suffer from insomnia.
Iodine is a primary component of thyroid hormones and an essential element in the human body. Thyroid hormones are critical to normal growth and development of nearly every part of the body, especially the brain and nervous system. Iodine is critical to normal mental functions, including memory, focus, clarity, learning, decision making, and reasoning.
In Japan, average daily consumption is anywhere between 5,280 and 13,800 mcg of iodine, more than 25 times that of the average American or European. This is a result of a diet high in fish and sea vegetables and is a primary factor in the low rates of obesity and cancer in that country. It’s no surprise, then, that Japanese people live longer, healthier lives than just about any other country.
THE THYROID GLAND
Your thyroid gland is an endocrine gland shaped a bit like a butterfly and found in the front of your neck just below your Adam’s apple. The thyroid produces and secretes thyroid hormones into the blood where it is distributed to the rest of your body. Thyroid hormones help you use the energy from the food you eat, help you stay warm, and keep all of your systems functioning properly.
Thyroid hormones affect every tissue and organ in the human body. Studies have also show thyroid hormones play a role in:
- Metabolism – Thyroid hormones regulate how fast or slow various parts of the body function and consume energy. They also improve the body’s ability to metabolise carbohydrates and the ability of the cells to absorb glucose.
- Central nervous system – When the concentration of thyroid hormones is either too high or too low, mental functioning can suffer. Hormone concentrations that are too low can cause feelings of sluggishness, while concentrations that are too high can lead to anxiety.
- Reproduction – A healthy reproductive system depends on keeping thyroid hormones stable. Underactive thyroid has been linked to infertility.
- Cardiovascular – Heart rate, contraction, and blood flow are all regulated by thyroid hormones. Thyroid hormones also improve dilation of the veins and arteries to improve blood flow.
- Growth and development – Thyroid hormones are especially vital to normal growth and development, not just in children, but in adults as well.
SYMPTOMS OF THYROID IMBALANCE
Thyroid imbalances can be difficult to diagnose as they can be associated with such a wide range of symptoms. Some common symptoms include: sensitivity to heat or cold, nervousness and irritability, muscle weakness, sleep difficulties, eye irritation or trouble with vision, dry skin and hair, sluggishness, trouble with memory, heavy periods, hoarse voice, weight gain or inability to lose weight, cold hands/feet.
Every 5ml teaspoon of Lugol’s Iodine solution contains 10 drops, so a 100ml bottle provides 600 drops, which should last a long time.
Each drop contains 7.62mg elemental iodine in a combination of Iodine and Potassium iodide. Bottle comes with a pipette for accurate dosing.
- Talk to your doctor if you have any conditions affecting your thyroid or kidney, if you are pregnant or nursing, or if you are on any medication.
- Do not use Lugol’s if you are allergic to iodine or shellfish. Shellfish are high in iodine, so if you have ever had a reaction to shellfish, you are probably allergic to iodine.
- When supplementing with lugol’s iodine, it’s important to drink plenty of water to help flush toxins from the body.
- This information is not meant to diagnose, treat, prevent, or cure any condition. If you think you may have any condition mentioned here, please talk to your doctor.